Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Day!

OK I love family gatherings, especially when there are a lot of people going to be there. I'm not much of a conversationalist, but I love to cook for people. We'll be driving to visit extended family in Michigan today, and I was asked to bring dinner rolls. So for the purists I have white bread rolls from Kroger, and I have whole wheat Avalon rolls from Ypsi Food Coop. I also planned to bring a favorite of mine - a simple and wonderful recipe for gatherings containing brie baked in puff pastry, along with some crackers.

Then just this morning I decided to make some pumpkin bread based on a recipe from Rodale's Natural Foods Cookbook

Ingredients

2 eggs
1/2 C honey
1 C canned pumpkin puree
1/2 C canola oil
1/4 C plain nonfat yogurt
1 5/8 C white flour
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice

Instructions

1. Combine wet ingredients
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir until mixed
3. Pour into 2 8"x8" square baking dishes and bake at 325 F 40 to 50 min or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean
4. Cool on a metal rack and cut into 16 pieces per baking dish

Nutrition

Servings: 32 squares Calories: 81 Fat: 4g Fiber: 0.5g Carbs: 10g Protein: 1.5g



I only made 1/2 the original recipe. I couldn't imagine spending 1 C oil and 1 C honey on anything. I had also wanted to put some sunflower seeds on top partway thru baking, but didn't get to do it before the top was already though. I think it'll be more popularly acceptable this way anyway. If I had to make this again, I'd replace half of the oil with some other wet ingredient (maybe pumpkin or yogurt) and I'd add some salt.



The cats say: Spock spent time in the kitchen being underfoot, but didn't have a chance to nom any bread. He did however get some leftover fried rice which was dropped on the floor accidentally. And Black Kitty loved the book as a pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment